- Bhutan To Be First Country to Go 100% Organic - If there was ever a nation that could see the purpose behind organic, sustainable farming, it would be a nation that is composed mostly of farmers. Such a place does exist, and it soon may be the first nation to go 100% organic, paving the way for others to do the same on a global scale. ~ by Anthony Gucciardi Feb 18 2013
- PCRM Asks Cosmetics Companies to Come Clean About Animal Testing - Thousands of rabbits suffer excruciating skin irritation and corrosion tests for cosmetic products and their ingredients each year. The Come Clean campaign asks companies to reveal if they perform these tests, so PCRM can help them transition to superior, cruelty-free alternatives.
- Study Shows Vegans Are More Empathetic, Neurologically Speaking - According to a new study by European researchers, meat-eaters have less empathy—for both animals and people—than vegetarians and vegans do. The researchers recruited 60 volunteers—20 meat-eaters, 21 vegans, and 19 vegetarians—and placed them into an MRI machine while showing them a series of random pictures.
- Eat Less Meat Could Save 45,000 Lives A Year - More than 45,000 lives a year could be saved if everyone began eating meat no more than two or three times a week, health experts and Friends of the Earth claim today.Widespread switching to low-meat diets would stop 31,000 people dying early from
heart disease, 9,000 from cancer and 5,000 from strokes, according to new analysis of British eating habits by public health expert Dr Mike Rayner contained in an FoE report.
- Causes Of Obesity - A high-fat diet can certainly contribute to an increased risk for obesity. In fact, the body notoriously becomes more efficient at meeting challenges. The body may, in a high-fat diet, learn to store fat more easily–which would increase one’s body fat percentage.
- Eating To Prevent And Control Diabetes - Eating right is a key step to preventing and controlling diabetes. Fortunately, whether you’re trying to reduce your risk of diabetes or manage a pre-existing problem, you can still enjoy your favorite foods and take pleasure from your meals. Your nutritional needs are the same as everyone else—no special foods or complicated diets are necessary.
But if the way you eat has been less than healthy, you may need to learn some better eating habits.
The key to a diabetes diet is eating in moderation, sticking to regular mealtimes, and eating a variety of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Food That Causes High Blood Pressure - Foods that cause high blood pressure are any foods with high levels of sodium, such as canned soup, frozen dinners, processed meats and pickled food. Avoid high-sodium foods to maintain or reduce high blood pressure with information from a registered and licensed dietitian in this free video on healthy eating.
This article was originally published at: Natural Treatment for Hypertension Blog
- Eating Pork can be Hazardous to your Health - Pig's bodies contain many toxins, worms and latent diseases. Although some of these infestations are harbored in other animals, modern veterinarians say that pigs are far more predisposed to these illnesses than other animals. This could be because pigs like to scavenge and will eat any kind of food, including dead insects, worms, rotting carcasses, excreta (including their own), garbage, and other pigs.
Pig meat contains excessive quantities of histamine and imidazole compounds, which can lead to itching and inflammation; growth hormone, which promotes inflammation and growth; sulfur-containing mesenchymal mucus, which leads to swelling and deposits of mucus in tendons and cartilage, resulting in arthritis, rheumatism, etc. Sulfur helps cause firm human tendons and ligaments to be replaced by the pig's soft mesenchymal tissues, and degeneration of human cartilage.
Eating pork can also lead to gallstones and obesity, probably due to its high cholesterol and saturated fat content. The pig is the main carrier of the taenia solium worm, which is found it its flesh. These tapeworms are found in human intestines with greater frequency in nations where pigs are eaten. This type of tapeworm can pass through the intestines and affect many other organs, and is incurable once it reaches beyond a certain stage.
- Health Effects of Cigarette Smoking - Smoking causes coronary heart disease, the leading cause of death in the United States.
Cigarette smoking causes reduced circulation by narrowing the blood vessels (arteries) and puts smokers at risk of developing peripheral vascular disease (i.e., obstruction of the large arteries in the arms and legs that can cause a range of problems from pain to tissue loss or gangrene).
Smoking causes abdominal aortic aneurysm (i.e., a swelling or weakening of the main artery of the body—the aorta—where it runs through the abdomen).
- Danger: Deadly Barbecues - The American Institute for Cancer Research doesn’t mince its words. ‘Cancer researchers have found that grilling … causes ‘muscle meats’ (red meat, poultry and fish) to produce cancer compounds.’
These compounds, called HCAs (heterocyclic amines), have been shown to cause tumours in animals and increase the possible risk of breast, colon, stomach and prostate cancer in humans.
Another cancer-causing substance forms when fat from meat, poultry or fish drips onto hot coals or wood and then, via smoke and flare-ups, is deposited onto the food above. These carcinogens are called PAHs or polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.
- Top 10 Worst Drinks - Nutrition by Natalie - In a fast food nation, eating healthy food becomes difficult to do. Yet a poor diet contributes to low energy, obesity, stress, health problems and high medical bills.
If you eat better, you will feel better and this video discusses some of the foods you should avoid.
- What Causes Breast Cancer? - The exact cause or causes of breast cancer remain unknown. Yet scientists have identified a number of risk factors that increase a person's chance of getting this disease. Certain risk factors, such as age, are beyond our control; whereas others, like drinking habits, can be modified.
The risk of breast cancer is increased among women who drink. Women who consume one alcoholic beverage a day have a slightly increased risk of breast cancer. By contrast, breast cancer risk is nearly doubled in women who have more than three drinks daily. Although the basis for this association is unknown, there is a recognized relationship between the consumption of more than two drinks a day and an increased level of estrogen in the blood.
- Cholesterol: List of the Top 100 Foods High in Cholesterol Content - Cholesterol is a sterol that is essential for normal functioning of the body. Examples of cholesterol health benefits include maintainance of integrity of cell membrane of all tissues, synthesis of bile acids in the liver, and synthesis of lipids such as steroid hormones. It is required for the synthesis of estrogen, testosterone and aldosterone.
Nonetheless, when its level in the blood rises beyond the normal range it causes health complications, including coronary heart disease. One of the causes of high serum cholesterol is consumption of foods high in cholesterol.
- Cirrhosis - The most common cause of liver disease in the United States is alcohol abuse.
Drinking too much alcohol on a regular basis almost always causes liver damage, although not always cirrhosis. Consuming 32 - 48 oz. of beer, 4 - 8 oz. of liquor, or 16 - 32 oz. of wine every day for 10 - 15 years or longer greatly increases your chances of developing cirrhosis. How much alcohol you drink, how often, and for how many years are more important factors what kind of alcohol you drink.
- Red Meat Again Linked to Colorectal Cancer - A recent study from the Ontario Family Colorectal Cancer Registry, established by the U.S. National Cancer Institute, compared the diets of people who had been diagnosed with colorectal cancer to the diets of people who did not have cancer. It turned out that those who ate the most red meat had a 67 percent higher risk of colorectal cancer, regardless of any genetic factors they may have had.
- Bamboo Extract Healthy Heart - There are still many people do not know, bamboo leaves, including potential herb. Flavonoidnya content is high enough. China was used leaf extract protect the heart.